Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I've got a colony of ferns!

I'm so excited! The one edible ostrich fern I planted in 2009 has formed a colony. They all sprung up this spring. I counted about 8 crowns.
Unfortunately, I missed the harvest window again this year. I swear the fiddleheads didn't unfurl until June last year, but as you can see above they are well past that stage already. That's ok - I read on garden web that you shouldn't really harvest them until they've established a colony anyway.

Next year is going to be the year! I better make sure to be out there looking for fiddleheads every day in April.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Grow Peace Dance is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at grow-peace.blogspot.com.