Saturday, February 6, 2010

Wishing it was Summer: Nasturtium Goodies

Here's a few pictures of dishes I made with the nasturtiums I grew in 2009.First are flowers stuffed with almond pepper chreeze - these were so good!! I stuffed and rolled the leaves like dolmas too, and it was awesome. I used this recipe with some diced Italian frying peppers and ground black pepper to add a little heat.

I also made nasturtium and potato soup using the leaves. The soup was quite tasty - it was something like a vichyssoise soup, but with spicy greens. I would definitely make it again - except next time I would wait until the very end to add the milk. On the side I had a tea sandwich with a little Nayonnaise, cucumbers, more italian frying peppers (since I had so many to use up they made their way into everything!) and lemon pepper.
Finally, I made two logs of nasturtium lemon butter and froze them. I didn't end up eating it until Thanksgiving, and still have the other in the freezer. (now that I think of it, I really should get it out!) In this picture you can see the butter on some toast. The flowers sprinkled on the plate are actually edible lemon gem marigolds, since that's all I had left at the time. Floral, yet spicy and lemony - it is hard to describe this butter but I really enjoyed it. It got raves from the relatives at Thanksgiving.
My only regret is that I didn't start eating the nasturtiums until the end of last season. They were too pretty! But now that I know how delicious they are, I definitely will make more with them next summer.

3 comments:

Vegan Wheekers said...

Wow, the dishes are so beautiful! I have not yet been able to bring myself to eat flowers even though I had seen my sister pick some and suck on the nectar when we were young. How she knew they weren't poisonous was beyond me. :-)

Jen Treehugger said...

I've never eaten nasturtiums before but I definitely want to try them. Must get some seeds for my garden this spring! That soup looks delicious.

ChickDigtheDirt said...

Great dishes! I eat them raw mostly and have incorporated them into salads, but this is a whole new world. I love the spicy flavor of the Nasturtiums so I can see how great they could be in recipes like this.

Creative Commons License
Grow Peace Dance is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at grow-peace.blogspot.com.