Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Recovery of the Year Award: Mesclun Greens

As you may remember, rabbits ate my lettuce back in April. Well, now its June and I can't believe how nicely they grew back! This definitely gets the most delicious recovery of the year award!!

Unfortunately they went to seed pretty quickly, but they still tasted great as far as my husband and I were concerned. Here is the bounty:
I made them into a salad that turned out wonderfully, but I just made it up, so this recipe is approximate:


Grilled Beets, Carrots & Fennel on Mesclun Greens with Lingonberry Vinagrette:


meclun greens

3-4 beets

3-4 carrots

1 fennel bulb

1 stalk celery

ligonberry vinegar

olive oil

salt and pepper

Peel and slice carrots and beets into 1/4 inch rounds. Cut bottom and top off of fennel bulb, but save the fennel fronds to the side. Slice fennel bulb lengthwise in 1/4 thicknesses. Coat veggies in olive oil, salt and pepper, then place on grill using a tray with holes in it so they don't fall through. Cook on low until tender, about 10 - 15 minutes.

Meanwhile slice celery in 1/4 pieces and finely chop fennel fronds.

In a separate bowl, combine ligonberry vinegar, olive oil, more salt and pepper. I really like vinegar and am trying to save calories, so I usually do 2 parts vinegar to 1 part oil, though most people do the opposite.

Place mesclun greens and celery on plates. Toss finished grilled veggies with vinagrette and place on bed of greens. Garnish with fennel fronds. Enjoy!

Notes: I actually didn't use fresh beets for this, I just added a half can of beets with the grilled carrots. It still tasted ok though I'm sure it would be better with actual grilled beets. I also would leave the celery out next time. And Ligonberry vinegar is sold at Ikea- but any light, fruity vinegar would do.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Grow Peace Dance is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at grow-peace.blogspot.com.