Monday, May 19, 2008

Wascally Wabbit Disaster!

Well, the lettuces were growing beautifully. I came home one evening to discover some unidentified animal got in and chomped them all right down to the dirt. I assume it was a rabbit, since I know there are a lot of them in this area. I also found a hole in the fence, which we patched upwith some extra fencing we found behind the shed. Two of the romaines seemed so eaten beyond repair I pulled them out and threw them in the dirt next to the bed. Miraculously, a week or two later the remaining 6 lettuces were growing back, up to about 2-3 inches tall, raising my hopes. I looked at the two thrown in the dirt and thought, hmm, could it be they might possibly grow back? So after a week or so of laying there in the dirt, I replanted them in the bed.

But then again! Disaster. More animals chomped the lettuces back down to the dirt a second time. I found a couple more holes in the fence so we patched those up too. Here is a close up of the poor romaine, chomped to the ground:The good news is, this was two weeks ago or so, and apparently our rabbit control measures have worked. The lettuces are growing like wildfire. Amazingly, one of the plants that sat out in the dirt for a week is even green and starting to grow back too! I'm sure I will be able to update the blog with a nice big picture of them soon.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Grow Peace Dance is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at grow-peace.blogspot.com.