Sunday, May 18, 2008

What "Weed" Am I?




The backyard we bought was filled with weeds. So many of them are adorable- but I don't know what they are. I wish I did- anyone out there have a clue?

Here is one type. This picture was taken on April 17th, and now it is one month later but all of the little blue flowers are gone. I don't know if this is because we mowed it, or if that is the plants natural cycle.


And here is another, whose flowers have also dissappeared over the past month. Not that there aren't still weeds all over, they just don't look quite as cute as this anymore:

And then of course there is the ubiquitous dandelion. If there is any symbol of everything that is crazy about humanity today, it seems to me the common dandelion should be it. From what I understand, the leaves have more vitamins and nutrition than spinach. Sure, its a little bitter, but if you pick it while still young, then saute it with some garlic and sprinkle on some lemon juice, it is quite tasty. I will never understand why people put pesticides into the ground water and waste so much energy trying to kill these things! Sure, I guess they are invasive, yadda yadda, but in a world of skyrocketing food and gas prices with so many people that go hungry, hard to kill edible plants don't seem to be such a bad thing to me. Not to mention the fact, the yellow flowers are so pretty!

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Grow Peace Dance is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at grow-peace.blogspot.com.