Sunday, June 6, 2010

Edible Flowers and Herbs

The herbs are growing like crazy! The chive, sage, lavender, chamomile and thyme have all bloomed, and it looks like the oregano and marjoram will too any day now. I need to trim them and dehydrate a bunch, but I just haven't had a chance yet.

I did harvest some of the flowers though. To the left is a bouquet of sage flowers. I'm not sure what to do with them, but they sure look pretty and smell good!




I also picked some lavender, chive and dianthus flowers. I dried the lavender to save for tea later. The chives made their way onto baked potatoes and salads. Below is a picture of the chives and dianthus sprinkled on a regular garden salad. Unfortunately it was at night, and the lighting isn't the best. But you can see how pretty the petals are - it really made an average salad look beautiful! And I love the mild oniony taste of the chive flowers. The dianthus was delicious too - a slight spicy, yet floral taste. (there's also some of the home grown radishes in this salad too)


No comments:

Creative Commons License
Grow Peace Dance is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at grow-peace.blogspot.com.