Saturday, December 5, 2009

More Autumn Garden Leftovers

Remember these Acorn Squash? They were an accident in my garden this summer, since I thought I bought yellow summer squash but apparently it was labeled incorrectly. Eventually, I realized, hey! these are acorn squash!

The plant grew HUGE! It was way too much for my small garden, as you can see above. Then, to top it all off, evil Squash Vine Borers decimated the plant in August.

The good news is, as you can see from the picture on the left, the squash were mostly ripe. I picked around a dozen of these.

Two or three of them had those weird scratch marks on them, so I didn't eat those. But the rest had at least a good patch of yellow, so I figured they were ripe enough to save.

Of course, in the middle of summer, I had no idea what to do with them - 90 degrees with high humidity is not exactly roasted veggie soup time.

So instead of eating them then, I gave a few away and roasted the rest, then froze them.

I finally made soup with it the day after Thanksgiving. It was super easy - I just poured the frozen pieces of roasted squash into a pot with the leftover Imagine No-Chicken broth that we used for the stuffing the day before. Then I added some fresh rosemary, thyme and red hot pepper flakes. S & P to taste, pureed with an immersion blender and voila! delicious creamy soup. It really was tasty!


A few days later I added nutritional yeast to the leftover soup and poured it over whole wheat spaghetti mixed with spaghetti squash as a kind of cheesy-ish sauce. I didn't take a picture of that one, b/c I'll admit, it wasn't very beautiful. But sometimes, ugly things taste great! My partner wouldn't touch it b/c he doesn't like squash, but to me, it was delicious! I love squash, any and all kinds.

I still have about 2/3 of a bag left in the freezer, so I'll definitely be making this soup again in the cold winter months.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Grow Peace Dance is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at grow-peace.blogspot.com.