Sunday, June 21, 2009

Red Trumpet Honeysuckle

Last summer I made my first and last order of live plants through the internet. Most of them died, so I won't do it again. One that has managed to come back strong this year though, is the Red Trumpet honeysuckle. You can see it in the background on the trellis in this post from last year. Now as you can see on the right, it has reached the top of the trellis.

I have always loved honeysuckle, with fond memories of eating the little drop of nectar from the common white and yellow ones as a child. I only found out last year that is Japanese honeysuckle, which is actually a highly invasive plant. No wonder it was growing along the roadside in so many places! So instead, I got Red Trumpet honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens) which is native to this area and not considered invasive.

It never flowered last year, so when I saw these gorgeous red trumpets come out this spring, I was delighted. I think it is still on the small side, and may need to be moved into an area with more sun. But at least I got these beautiful flowers!

1 comment:

Tami said...

You probably know this, but hummingbirds love these. And with good reason, your plant is gorgeous!

Creative Commons License
Grow Peace Dance is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at grow-peace.blogspot.com.