Sunday, March 29, 2009

Baby Violets

There they are, along with my finger for size comparison. The origami pots didn't work out that great. It may be just because of the type of paper I used instead of newspaper- but they are breaking down. I don't think too many of the pansies grew, just the Johnny Jump Ups. I read that violets should be planted out about a month before the final frost date, which is coming up this week, but I'm not sure if they are still too small to transplant.
A couple of the violets-in-a-can my partner brought home from the computer show actually grew too. I can hardly believe it.

Update: Great news!! Remember the wild violets that unexpectedly grew in my backyard last year? Well they are growing back again! I was worried they wouldn't, since we did so much work in the backyard the area was trampled quite a bit, as well as torn up by J.J. the dog. But last night when I went outside, I saw that all of a sudden they are sprouting up everywhere! Yay, I'm so excited. They smelled so delicious last year. I think I identified what type they are too: Viola sororia (Sister Violet or Woolly Violet). They are New Jersey's state flower. :-)

1 comment:

Jen Treehugger said...

I LOVE Violets - I have two in bloom at the moment.
:)

Creative Commons License
Grow Peace Dance is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at grow-peace.blogspot.com.