Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Cilantro City

Check out my herb garden - it is growing wild!
It isn't the greatest picture since it was late in the day, but that may be for the best since I need to get out there and trim them. I'm not really complaining though -nothing not to like about an abundance of herbs! I am going to try to use as many as possible over the next few weeks, before they get attacked by summer bugs. (I wish I could get them all in the dehydrator, or frozen, but I know I won't have enough time to pick and clean that many leaves).

The cilantro is so tall it looks like a city. Of course that means they're already starting to bolt, but I don't mind. Letting them go to seed last year is how I got this whole crop! I think the frilly tops taste just as good as the larger leaves at the bottom anyway.
Tonight I harvested some cilantro, mint and chives to attempt  to replicate a Peruvian quinoa taboule we had at a restaurant called El Tule in Lambertville over the weekend. (the mint is in another corner of the yard by the ferns, also growing like wildfire) Mine was low fat, and theirs was better, but it turned out pretty well for a first try. Very refreshing, and thankfully cooling since I served it with very spicy chipotle field roast sausages. (we did have avocado too, it just isn't pictured) Keep scrolling for the recipe.


Spring Herb Quinoa Salad
2 cups cooked quinoa
2 tsp olive oil
scant 1/2 cup each chopped cilantro, mint & chives
juice of 1 lime (or to taste)
salt & pepper
avocado slices (optional)
Mix all ingredients except avocado. Mound on plate and place avocado slices on top.

2 comments:

x said...

Wow, that is so much coriander (cilantro). It's my favourite herb but it always gets eaten, I'm hoping I get get it to survive this time!

bodhi said...

that looks awesome! a good way to use that much cilantro would be cilantro pesto - so good! and then freeze it in ice cube trays or small containers so you have some when you need it!

Creative Commons License
Grow Peace Dance is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at grow-peace.blogspot.com.