Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Another Squash Post?!?! You've Got to Be Kidding

Nope, I'm not kidding. Here is squash post #5.

As you can see to the left, I had three more to deal with.

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to make anything with them until a week after picking and the big one got soft. Whoops.

But the other two were still good, so I don't feel too bad about letting one go into the compost, with everything I've used them for all summer.

They ended up in a Zucchini, Potato and Cilantro Soup. I found the recipe on epicurious.com, and figured it must be good since it is rated with a resounding 4 forks. But wow, it exceeded my expectations. I hate to hype it up, because then you'll try it and be like "meh", but I can't stop raving about it!! I really am not a huge fan of soup. However this was hands down one of the best I've ever eaten. It was perfectly balanced.

The only thing I had to change to make it vegan was use Earth Balance Buttery Spread instead of butter. I also only used 2 tbsp instead of 3, to make it slightly lower fat. But even without that, it is a low-cal recipe. Plus, it was super easy to make, and also used up some jalapenos from my garden. (Even cooler, if I had my dream half acre of land, it could be made almost entirely from home grown ingredients. *sigh* Someday.)

Here it is sauteing in the pot before adding the broth. Which, btw, was Imagine Organic Vegetable Broth that I got a whole carton for only 99 cents at Jack's in Manhattan! Gotta love Jack's. Wuhoo.And the final product (unfortunately the picture does not do it justice). No croutons were needed.


My partner doesn't even like squash and he ate his all up. It was so good I had two huge bowls! This is definitely my new #1 favorite soup. I look forward to making it in the winter with the squash I dehydrated a couple weeks ago.

I've only got 1 more squash left on the vines. I think they are pretty much done for the season, what with all of this cool weather we've had. (though, no frost yet) So I guess this will probably be the last squash post until next year. :-(

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Grow Peace Dance is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at grow-peace.blogspot.com.