Monday, February 9, 2009

Seed Binge 2009: Check!

I've been super busy but after this weekend's 50 degree temps I could wait no longer. I just placed my seed orders!! Here is what I bought:

From Natural Gardening Company:

  • Emerité Pole Bean Seed
  • Buttercrunch Lettuce Seed*
  • Merveille De Quatre Saisons Butterhead Lettuce Seed
  • Vivian Romaine Lettuce Seed
  • "Astro" Arugula
  • Red Ace Beet Seed*
  • Fordhook Giant Swiss Chard Seed*
  • Marketmore Cucumber Seed*
  • White Icicle Radish Seed*
  • Easter Egg II Radish Seed
  • Purple Top White Globe Turnip Seed*

From Cook's Garden:

  • Summer Squash Tromboncino
  • Beet Lutz Green Leaf
  • Pea Sugar Snap*
  • Carrot Napoli Hybrid

Whee I'm excited now! Seeds with an asterisk* next to them were specifically listed as good types to grow in New Jersey by Rutgers: http://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/download-free.asp?strPubID=FS681 , with the exception of Fordhook Chard which was suggested by a NJ gardener on the garden web forums.

Although that is a long list, I'm still going to have to buy quite a few plants from the nursery. I know I don't have a lot of time this year, and my indoor growing set-up doesn't really exist yet, so I only went with mostly things to be direct seeded outside. A lot of the above list will also be planted in the fall. Last year I learned quickly that you have to get them in the spring, because by the time fall came around none of my local stores had any plants or seeds.

This is what I plan to get from the nursery:

  • Yellow Squash
  • Regular Zucchini
  • Grape Tomatoes
  • Rutgers Tomatoes
  • Two types of heirloom (maybe from the Rutger's special plant sale)
  • Cucumber, maybe a pickling variety & another long seedless
  • Italian peppers
  • Jalapeno
  • Habanero
  • Bell Peppers (maybe red and orange)
  • Cilantro
  • Dill
  • Mint
  • Basil
  • Borage
  • Assorted herbs for my dog's garden (haha yes you read that right my dog gets his own garden. This will be explained in a later post)
  • Raspberries
  • Blueberries
  • Strawberries
  • Nasturtiums
  • Marigolds
  • Daisies

I think that's it! Phew!


1 comment:

Jen Treehugger said...

I haven't even sorted out what I'm growing this year. I'm putting it off because with any luck we will be living somewhere else......but I so want to start planting things now. Maybe I will and just deal with it when we move.

Creative Commons License
Grow Peace Dance is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at grow-peace.blogspot.com.