Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year 2009!

This is what I harvested today, January 1st, 2009. It is baby carrots (odd that they are still baby since I planted them in May, 08), parsley, a bit of baby spinach and kale. I can't even believe all of these things were still alive, without any row covers or protection whatsoever! Next year I hope to get some Agribon and extend the harvest even further. But in the meantime, it sure made a nice addition to my New Year's Day feast.

I always make sure to eat lots of greens & lentils, since both are supposed to represent money for the new year. Not that I am really into money or material things, or very superstitious- but I figure it can't hurt for fun, especially when it tastes really good! So along with sauteed greens (usually chard, spinach & kale w/ garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes and a spritz of lemon juice), I have some lentil salad and Texas Caviar made with black-eyed peas. Not only does all of this make great road picnic food for my annual New Year's trip to relatives in Canada, but it should make me good to go as far as luck and fortune in the new year!

I am reprinting my Texas Caviar recipe here, even though it wasn't grown in my garden. Next year once I get the row covers in effect I think we could have several of the ingredients fresh from the garden- so it is something to aspire to for 2009!

Good fortune, love, and happiness to all of you and your loved ones in 2009. (even if you didn't eat any beans and greens!)

Texas "Caviar"

This recipe is copied for a free recipe card I picked up in a Texas Wholefoods store around 99 or 2000ish. I've made it almost every New Year's Eve since - if not every one - it is that good. If you don' t like any heat at all, it isn't for you- but most people would consider it relatively mild as written. If you like things very spicy, you can always add more diced jalapeno, habanero, or whatever kind of hot pepper you have.

1 & 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomatoes (1 & 1/2 medium tomatoes from my notes)
1/3 cup green onions, thinly sliced (6 thin from my notes)
2 Tbsp canned chopped green chiles
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can (15.8 oz) black-eyed peas, drained (and rinsed, from my notes)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Cover and chill. Garnish with jalapeno slices and cilantro sprigs, if desired. Serve with baked corn tortilla chips, toasted pita, etc.

Makes 3 cups, about 14 servings.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Grow Peace Dance is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at grow-peace.blogspot.com.