Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Little Bitty Beets


This was my entire harvest of beets on Oct. 10th. I direct sowed the organic Detroit Dark Red, Medium Top seeds on August 1st, but this is all I got 2.5 months later. I don't know what went wrong. The radishes growing next to them were perfect. I may not have thinned them enough, as I just read over at the garden forums that beet seeds are actually a clump of seeds, so several will sprout from one seed and it is important to thin them or you won't get big beets. I definitely didn't do that.

I don't think it was the whole problem though, since some of them had enough space. Maybe I pulled them out too early? Yet they should only take 60 days to mature. Oh well, maybe I will try a different type in 09. They were very tasty in any case. I roasted them whole, didn't even peel them- and ate them with salt and pepper. Yum.

P.S. I just found this link about how to grow beets that might help me later: http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/beet1.html

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Grow Peace Dance is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at grow-peace.blogspot.com.