Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sweet Peas!

Ahh, sweet peas, so cute and absolutely delicious. They were probably my favorite fall crop this year. I planted them from seed around August 3rd. It was around 12 seeds, two on each side of the three trellis legs and two in the middle of each side. Here you can see what they looked like on September 6th, and a close up of the first beautiful butterfly shaped white flower:














Unfortunately, I only planted one trellis with them, and harvested maybe about 30 pods or so altogther, 5 - 10 at a time on a couple different days. It wasn't nearly enough to cook anything with, so we just ate them plain straight out of the pod. Amazingly enough, that was the first time I ever had a pea out of the pod in my life. So good! Next spring I am going to plant about 10 more of these plants!!

As you can see from this picture taken on October 6th, the plant never really got very tall. The leaves also turned yellow along the bottom. I'm not really sure why. There are no new flowers or pods on it now, so I assume it is done for the season. Bummer.

P.S. My garden survived the first frost thanks to the measures taken in the last post. Or, maybe it didn't end up frosting is more like it. When I let JJ out around 8AM, the ground seemed damp but not icy. Well, at least it survived! It may frost again tomorrow night so we'll see how much longer it can last.

1 comment:

Jen Treehugger said...

Mmmmm Fresh Peas...there's nothing like them!

Creative Commons License
Grow Peace Dance is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at grow-peace.blogspot.com.